There is something about natural stone that just draws you in. Maybe it is the way that each piece is unique, with its own story to tell. Or maybe it is the natural beauty of the materials that can never be replicated. No matter what your reason, using natural stone in your kitchen is a great way to add character and style.
The kitchen is a great place to incorporate the beauty and durability of natural stone so we’ve rounded up our ideas on a few ways that you can use natural stone in your kitchen design.
Also, don’t miss our tips on how to choose the right natural stone for your space.
Where To Add Natural Stone
Incorporating natural stone into your kitchen is a great way to add texture, interest, and style. There are many different places that you can add natural stone, including:
- Back splashes: Elevate your backsplash by using large format tiles or slabs, or add intricately cut, natural stone tiles to create texture and visual interest.
- Counter tops: Create a naturally durable surface by choosing natural stone for your countertops.
- Island accents: Make your island pop by incorporating natural stone accents. Natural stone creates different natural and beautiful colors and textures.
- Flooring: If you have lots of foot traffic throughout your home, natural stone is a perfect scratch resistant flooring option.
- Window sills: Create eye catching window sills with natural stone.
Choosing The Right Stone
When choosing natural stone for your kitchen, there are a few things that you will need to keep in mind. First, you need to decide what type of stone you want to use. When choosing your stone consider:
- Durability: Will it withstand weather, scratches, and heat?
- Water Resistant: Will your stone appear the same after getting wet multiple times?
- Traction: Will something slide off my counter easily? Or will I slip on this stone walking across the kitchen?
Here at Dean Agency we offer: Uxmal Orange, Sisal, Coral, and Nube stone.
Once you have chosen the type of natural stone that you want to use, you will need to select the right size and shape for your space. You will also need to choose a finish that compliments the rest of your kitchen.
Benefits of Natural Stone
What are some benefits of using natural stone in your kitchen? Here are just a few:
1. Natural stone is durable and will last for many years. The durability of natural stone allows you to not have to replace your countertops, backsplashes, floorings, etc. for a long time, if ever.
2. Natural stone is easy to care for and maintain. Natural stone is a natural product which means it is easy to clean with just soap and water. It’s also heat resistant, so you can place hot pans on it without worrying about damage. Lastly, natural stone is scratch resistant, so your countertops will always look beautiful.
3. Natural stone can add value to your home by increasing the resale value of your home. Secondly, natural stone is a low-maintenance material, which means that it will save you money in the long run.
Indoor vs Outdoor Kitchens
When selecting natural stone for an indoor kitchen, you have more options to choose from because you are not limited by weather conditions. For example, marble is a beautiful natural stone that is commonly used in indoor kitchens; however, it is not the best choice for an outdoor kitchen because it can be damaged by the elements. When choosing natural stone for an outdoor kitchen, you will want to choose a stone that is durable and can withstand the elements, such as Sisal, Nube, or Uxmal Orange.
Some places you can incorporate natural stone into your outdoor kitchen include but are not limited to:
- Counter tops
- Bar tops
The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to bringing your kitchen to life with natural stone. Ready to start your kitchen remodel? Give us a call to talk through our options for natural stone countertops, tile, flooring and custom fabrication.